Are you Employed working in the construction industry in the UK, you might be entitled to a tax refund!


If you’re employed in construction (PAYE), and drive your own vehicle to different sites, there’s a good chance HMRC owes you a tax refund of up to £2,500. And, if you have to pay for them yourself, you can also claim for public transport, meals, lodging, laundry, tools and protective clothing.

How do you go about making a claim?

We know working on a building site keeps you busy, so we make it easy to sort out your PAYE tax refund. Making a claim is easy, just drop us all your receipts/bills and we shall do the rest.

The average refund is £950 -£2,500 per year, and because we can go back two years, your first claim could be more than £2,500.

What about self employed Sub Contractors? Do they qualify also?

Yes they do but make sure on top of being self employed your also registered for the CIS Scheme (Construction Industry Scheme).

If you are a  sub-contractor  registered under the HMRC Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), to work for a contractor or other sub-contractors in most trades within the Construction Scheme.

Some ofshutterstock_232178113 the trades include:
General construction such as bricklaying, plastering, Plumbing etc
Repairs and refurbishments

If you are involved in any of the above, then the CIS scheme applies to you.

If you are not registered under CIS and don’t have a UTR number you will be taxed at a higher rate. The only good news is that you can get a tax relief for the Tax paid.

What may be claimed for?

Tax relief may be claimed for the following:


  • Cleaning costs of specialised or protective clothing;
  • Buying or replacing of specialised or protective clothing;
  • Travel costs, if you use your own vehicle and pay for your own fuel to get to sites;
  • Tools and equipment needed for your work and not paid for by your employer.

How do I claim?

CIS Scheme

Don’t be one of the thousands who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their construction tax rebate. Speak to a qualified Tax Refund  consultants on 0208 679 4690 or visit or website  for more information. 

Whether you’re in construction or professional sport, the team here at KG Accountants are on your side. We’ll support you with sound tax advice, making sure you claim any Tax refund that your entitled to. 

Categories: Construction Industry Scheme, Self Employed, Taxes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: